Friday, October 3, 2008

Chicken is chicken is chicken

Last Monday was the first day of my Calculations & Dosages class. We started off with an introduction; name, major, if we had kids, etc. A lot of people were listing their animals, so I decided I was going to be cheeky.

"Hello. I'm Ket. I'm majoring in veterinary. I have one little girl. Four dogs. Oh, yeah, and 95 chickens."

The class paused. My teacher peered at me. "95?" She asked. I nodded. Class resumed.
Later on, the instructor was going over the class rules.
"I don't care if you eat a bag of chips or a candy bar," She mentioned. "But if you bring in steak and potatoes, you'd better bring enough for all!"
Me being my cheeky self, I piped up. "I can bring in roast chicken!"

One of the girls sitting down the row squeaked. "Wait." She said. "You actually eat your chickens!?"
I kinda gave her A Look. "Well, yeah." I said, wanting sorely to add (and what else would we do with 95 chickens?).
Her face took on a horrified look. "You mean you slaughter them?"
"Uh... yeah." I said, peering at her. She gagged, but by now I was curious. "Are you a vegetarian?"
"Well, no." She said with a valley-girl twang.
Confused, I asked "So... you eat chicken?"
With a teenage-girl e yeroll, she goes: "Yeah... but it comes from the store!"

I waited a moment to see if that statement would click in her head. Meanwhile, our teacher is looking between us with a pained, I'm-trying-not-to-laugh look on her face. The class was silent.
After a minute, I realized that this girl just didn't get that chicken = chicken... whether it's from the store or in your backyard. Either way, the bird dies...
"Yeah." I said, and turned back to the front of the class and opened my book.


Now, this isn't the first time this has happened. I got a similar response when I mentioned in a chat room online that I slaughtered chickens. "Well, yeah I eat chicken, but it comes from the store!" It seems to be... well... a pretty common response. Despite the lack of sense of it.

Next time, I'm going to reply with "Yeah, and someone slaughtered that store chicken too, I bet!" all cheery and smiley-faced.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

haha thats awesome! i've been reading up on chicken slaughtering techniques. i dont even know why. i just was. oh, and the cone technique, have you tried that? you put the chicken into a cone with the head sticking out the hole, and the cone hangs on the wall. weird. :) i've never had fresh chicken, but i've had fresh rabbit...... when we had chickens sometimes i'd poke their chest and wonder how much meat they had. but they were bantams. little ones.