Sunday, October 26, 2008

Of Baking, Speeches, and Jobs

I think I was a baker in a past life.

No, I'm serious! I find great joy in baking. I like making cookies and breads and just about anything that involves flour, butter, and sugar. I like cooking too, but I don't "get" cooking. I "Get" baking. It makes sense to me. We eat a lot of baked goods in this house. Baking is also stress relief. I feel so good when I peek in the oven and find 12 little orange pumpkin cookies puffing up to their fluffy goodness. I would love to open a little bakery one day.

So one of the classes I'm taking this quarter is speech. It didn't occur to me until recently that part of a speech class is, well, giving speeches.

I had to give my first speech last Wednesday and was terrified. I had too much information and ended up rushing through it with some stuttering and going over the time limit, but all in all I must have done pretty good, because I got 190/200 points. Tomorrow we get a better report of what we did right, wrong, and what could be improved.

Also, Ben got a new job (with a raise!) that he starts Monday. It's a 9-5 job this week, which means we had to find care for Mori. Luckily a girl downtown who I know from the Columbus board offered to help out. I told her I needed her for Monday and Wednesday, but now, thinking about it, we don't have school on Wednesday... so I might go ahead and have Ben drop Mori off anyway and take a day to myself. JUST myself. It would be very, very nice. Good golly, I could sleep in, and take a bath, and maybe get some housework done...

Ugh. Housework. Speaking of which, here is today's To-Not-Avoid-Doing list:

  • Call Paypal and get them to reopen my account.
  • Search for Tracfone phones (Walmart?) and pricing.
  • Pick up the livingroom
  • At least get all the dishes done in the kitchen
  • Bag up icky produce to throw to chickens
  • Do something with the apples... Applesauce?
  • Get all the laundry put away
  • Pack up Mori's bag for tomorrow
  • Do some homework
  • Lay out clothes for me and Ben tomorrow
  • Set alarm extra early for tomorrow
  • Vacuum kitchen and livingroom

No comments: