Friday, December 21, 2007

Poor, poor Tyra

I don't think Tyra will survive the night.

I took Mori out to a yarn shop to find some roving, and left the dogs inside. When I came back, Tyra's cage was on the floor without her in it. The dogs were all crowded behind the futon, which is where I looked first (after throwing them out). At first she wasn't moving and her neck was covered in blood. I thought she was dead, but she was breathing.

I checked over the rest of her body and although she seemed a little limp, she wasn't bleeding anywhere else, so I went ahead and moved her (with an improvised box-lid stretcher) so I could look better.

It *looks* like there's just one big chunk missing out of her neck. Nothing serious (at a glance) because it's not gushing and I can't see anything but the skin wound. I stuck her in the sink and rinsed it off, and it looked okay. I thought she was just a little tramatized. I put her in with Legacy to calm her down, and was hoping that he would clean the wound.

He is helping her. He's cleaning up the wound. But she's not doing good. She's very lethargic, hasn't eaten or drank anything. Her ears are always back, and she sways. Her tail looks 'broken' which makes me think that one of the dogs hit her from behind. I also now think she has some sort of internal damage and internal bleeding.

We'll see how long she lasts, but I would be very surprised if she lasts through the night. She's cuddled up to Legacy and he's cleaning her up, so maybe that will help - keep her warm, fed, and try to keep out infection... but if she's got internal hemorraging, well, there's nothing we can do... I wish I knew. If she's going to die, I could at least make it swift so she wouldn't be in hours of pain.

No comments: