Monday, December 17, 2007

Tyra and Legacy

I picked up two new rabbits today, French Angoras (although I learned that Legacy is an English/French Angora cross). The girl I talked to about them was very nice, and said she didn't have time for them because of a 'new' baby. I assumed 'new' meant a month at the most, so I was thinking that she probably took really good care of these rabbits before she had the baby.

BOY was I WRONG. First off, the 'new' baby is five months. Second off, these rabbits are... horrible. Oh, the beauty of their coats is one thing. They both seem to produce very thick, fine wool. But they're half-starved, they haven't been brushed in god-knows-when, they were being fed alfalfa pellets (BIG no-no with Angoras, can cause intestines to block up when mixed with their wool from grooming). They were in the same cage (8mo doe and a 2yr buck) because the previous owners think she's too young to breed (Angoras hit maturity from 4-6mo of age... in fact, they HAVE to be bred before 1yr because their pelvis bones fuse at 1yr.).
So this poor doe might already be bred. I put them in seperate cages just in case, but I felt around earlier and felt what could be kits in her belly.

Meanwhile, her mats are skin-deep. I've been combing for two hours now, and have gotten four freezer bags of wool. There are still millions of mats, and I haven't even started on her rear-end.
The male is so malnurished that he's got bald spots. You can feel their spine, each individual bone. Their ribs are sticking out of their bellies.

I feel so bad for them. And they both have show-blood in them.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

geez. so do you think you can get the rest of the mats out or will you try to cut them out? i guess she must have meant she hasn't paid attention to them since she had the baby. that sucks. poor rabbits. at least they've got a new mama :D

Unknown said...

I'm just shearing her, now. She's too far gone to try to comb them all out, and her fur is so thick from not being taken care of that it's hard to see where her skin begins.